Mazda Belt Squeel
- long and loud at startup in the morning (on video)
- long and loud at startup for lunch
- brief and mild at startup after lunch
- long and loud at startup after work
- nothing in the morning but brief and mild at stop to drop off wife
- big squeal at lunch
- big squeal after work (on video)
- nothing in the morning
- brief squeal after breakfast
- squeal in gear after work
- persistent quiet squeal through 9-10 stoplights
- persistent quiet squeal at low speeds
Sometimes I get squeal at start, but usually it's not until I put it in gear. At start I usually wait 15s before putting it in gear. When squealing, giving it extra gas makes it much louder. One morning, when squealing in park, after the squeal stopped, I used the power windows, and the squeal started. I did this about five times in a row: no squeal, run windows, squeal starts, stop running windows, squeal stops, with about a 3s lag.
I've read about a bunch of causes: pwr steering pump's oil, alternator pulley, flange gasket between exhaust and manifold (unrelated to belt but same sound). I'm willing to replace something if you think it'll help. I've read mixed reviews on belt dressing, but I'm willing to periodically apply that if you think it's a good idea.